How To Make Money As a Medical Student (Complete Guide)
Do you want to know how to make money as a medical student and have some money left after all the parties and fun activitys with your friends? There are many ways to make money as a medical student, and by taking advantage of these opportunities, you can earn extra income while still focusing on your studies and career.
Whether you are interested in tutoring, working as an EMT, starting a home-based business, or something else entirely, there is a side hustle that can fit your needs and schedule.
How To Make Money As a Medical Student (short list)
- Work as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
- Medical Scribe
- Medical Research Assistant
- Participate in Focus Groups or Surveys
- Drive for Uber/Lyft/GrubHub
- Traditional Student Side Gigs
- Freelance Writing or Blogging
- Online Selling (E-commerce, Etsy, Amazon)
- Pet-sitting or dog-walking
- Photography or videography services
- Online tutoring
- Online health coaching
- Home cleaning or laundry services
- Participating in medical studies or clinical trials
- Home-based business
Let’s deep dive into the article about how to make money as a medical student!
Why Make Extra Money As a Medical Student?
Are you a person who are looking into becoming a medical student or maybe you are a student and you havent experienced the feeling of needing extra money. Here are a few reasons why you would want to work and get some extra cash!
- Covering the high cost of tuition and other expenses associated with medical school, such as books, equipment, and clinical rotations.
- Building up savings for post-graduation expenses, such as paying off student loans or saving for a down payment on a house.
- Having extra income to support myself and my family, especially during the demanding and time-consuming nature of medical school.
- Having additional funds to invest in my education and career development, such as attending conferences or pursuing research opportunities.
- Having financial stability and independence during my medical studies and training, which may also help me to focus more on my studies and future career.
- Covering the cost of basic living expenses, such as rent, utilities, food, and transportation.
- Having extra money for personal expenses, such as clothes, entertainment, and travel.
- Being able to enjoy social activities and events, such as parties and gatherings with friends and classmates.
- Having the ability to save for long-term goals, such as retirement or buying a car.
- Having a financial cushion for unexpected expenses or emergencies.
Having extra money as a medical student really makes life much easier, you can anjoy life more and it can even help to reduce stress and allow you to focus on your studies and future career better.
How To Make Money As a Medical Student
There are a number of reasons why you would want to make some extra cash as a medical student and let’s face it, not having enough money sucks especially when your friends are out having fun at different partys and you are sitting there home in your small apartment or your room in your family’s house.
You decide that it is enough and that you are going to learn how to make money as a medical student and here are the different ways to make money as a medical student!
If you are looking into the option to tutoring and you want to give this a chance there are a few things you need to know about including how much you can earn but tutoring is a really easy and great way to earn money if that is something you are good at and enjoy doing.
- Flexibility: You can choose when and where to offer your tutoring services, which allows you to work around your busy schedule as a medical student.
- Knowledge sharing: By tutoring, you can share your knowledge and skills with others and help them succeed in their studies.
- Personal and professional development: Tutoring can help you develop your teaching skills and improve your ability to explain complex concepts in a clear and concise way.
If you are teaching high school level Mathematics and the demand is high, you can earn between $10 and $100 per hour depending on the quality of your service and your reputation but It is also important to note that you can negotiate your rate, some students may be willing to pay more for your time.
Work as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
This is a great way to gain experience and apply your knowledge in a practical setting but it can also be a flexible option that can be scheduled around your classes and rotations because you usually pick what time to work and be open for work when you are free.
- Experience: One of the biggest pros of working as an EMT while in medical school is the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the field and EMTs are often the first point of contact for patients in emergency situations, and working as one will give you a chance to learn how to assess and treat patients under pressure.
- Exposure: EMTs respond to a wide variety of medical emergencies, which will expose you to a diverse range of medical conditions and this will help you to develop a broad understanding of different diseases and injuries and how to treat them.
- Networking opportunities: Working as an EMT can also help you to build a network of contacts in the medical fieldand you will have the chance to work with other medical professionals, such as paramedics and doctors, and to learn from them.
Did you know that the salery is $36,930 as a starting point but that the top 10 percent of earners in the field make over $60,000 a year, while the lowest 10 percent make $28,320 annually.
As a medical student you are used to stab needles into people’s arms so this should not require any additional certifications, and it can be flexible and scheduled around your classes and rotations it is also a great way to get a foot in and get to know people, remember this might be your workplace in the future.
- Flexibility: Phlebotomy is a flexible field that allows you to work in a variety of settings such as hospitals, clinics, and laboratories. This can give you the opportunity to find a work environment that best suits your preferences and skill set.
- Job stability: Phlebotomy is a rapidly growing field and job opportunities are expected to increase in the coming years. This can provide you with a stable and secure career path in the healthcare industry.
- Patient interaction: Phlebotomists work closely with patients, which can be a fulfilling experience. You will have the opportunity to connect with patients on a personal level and make a positive impact on their health and well-being. Additionally, the role of Phlebotomist is important for patient care, as accurate and timely collection of samples is vital for proper diagnosis and treatment.
The average salary for a Phlebotomist is $37,380 per year or about $17.97 per hour and I think this means that you can expect to earn a decent wage for your time and effort.
This role allows you as a medical students to gain hands-on experience in a clinical setting, apply your knowledge and learn from experienced physicians but it is typically a full-time position, and may not provide the same level of flexibility as other options such as locum tenens, telemedicine, or part-time positions.
- Hands-on experience: Medical scribing provides medical students with the opportunity to observe and assist physicians in real-life patient encounters. This allows them to gain valuable hands-on experience in a clinical setting, which can help to supplement their classroom education.
- Specialties: Medical scribing positions are often available in a variety of medical specialties, such as emergency medicine, internal medicine, and pediatrics. This allows medical students to gain exposure to different areas of medicine, helping them to make more informed decisions about their future career paths.
- Documentation skills: Medical scribing requires the individual to document patient encounters in real-time, which can help the medical student to improve their documentation skills. This is an important skill that will be useful in any medical career, as accurate and detailed documentation is essential for patient care, communication with other healthcare providers, and billing.
Medical Research Assistant
network and collaborate with experienced medical professionals and researchers, which can open doors for future opportunities in the field and it may not be as flexible as some of the other options for earning extra money, but it can be a valuable opportunity for gaining experience and learning new skills..
- Valuable experience in the medical field, which can be beneficial for your future career.
- Opportunity to contribute to the advancement of medical knowledge and potentially improve patient care.
- Provide a chance to network and collaborate with experienced medical professionals. It may not be as flexible as some of the other options for earning extra money, but it can be a valuable opportunity for gaining experience and learning new skills.
Participate in Focus Groups or Surveys
Focus groups or surveys is a epic way to learn about new trends and developments in the medical field and stay informed about the latest products and services available to healthcare professionals.
- Knowledge and expertise in the medical field to provide valuable insights and feedback to companies and organizations that are developing new products or services related to healthcare.
- Earn money without having to commit a significant amount of time or effort, as focus groups and surveys usually take only a few hours to complete.
- Flex your communication skills, as you will have the opportunity to explain and justify your point of view, and engage in a dialogue with other participants.
Drive for Uber/Lyft/GrubHub
A cool way for you to take a break from the rigors of medical school and have some social interaction while earning money but it also allows you to work on your communication skills, as you will have the opportunity to interact with customers and provide them with a pleasant experience. However, it does require you to have a car and maintain it in good condition.
- Flexible schedule and work around your classes, clinical rotations, and other commitments.
- Opportunity for you to earn money while utilizing my personal vehicle, which can help me offset the costs of car ownership.
- Interact with people from different backgrounds and cultures and learn from them.
Traditional Student Side Gigs
Side gigs can also be a great way to gain experience in customer service and learn how to handle difficult or unexpected situations but remember that these jobs can be physically demanding and may require you to work in a fast-paced environment, which can be challenging for some students.
- Independence and responsibility, as you will have to manage your own time and tasks effectively.
- Develop your time management skills, which are essential for success in medical school and beyond.
- Great way to earn money while gaining transferable skills that can be applied to other jobs in the future.
Freelance Writing or Blogging
Freelance writing or blogging will for sure improve your communication skills and writing skills, which are essential for success in any profession, especially in healthcare you know and It also offers you an opportunity to be creative, to research and learn more about the topics that you are writing about.
- Express your thoughts, ideas, and opinions on the medical field, which can be a great way to gain personal insight and understanding.
- Opportunity to build your portfolio and demonstrate your writing skills to potential employers or clients
- Build your brand and establish yourself as an expert in your field, which can open doors for future career opportunities.
Online Selling (E-commerce, Etsy, Amazon)
Online marketing and customer service, which are valuable skills for any profession because it also allows you to have control over your income, and the potential to scale your business in the future and it can also be a great way to network with other sellers and learn from their experiences.
- Easy to create your own schedule, which allows you to balance your studies and work.
- No skills and it doesn’t require any additional certifications, making it accessible to anyone.
- Allows you to leverage your creativity and entrepreneurial skills to start your own business or sell products you’re passionate about.
Pet-sitting or dog-walking
Pet-sitting or dog-walking can be a great way to stay active and get some exercise while earning some extra cash. It can also be a great way to socialize with other pet-owners and learn more about different types of animals, which can be beneficial for future interactions with patients.
- Allows you to interact and take care of animals, which can be fulfilling and enjoyable.
- Provide a sense of responsibility and dependability, as you will have to take care of another living being.
- De-stress and take a break from the rigors of medical school.
Photography or videography services
offering photography or videography services can also be a great way to improve your technical skills, such as composition, lighting, and editing. It also can be a great way to network with other photographers and videographers, which can open doors for future collaborations and opportunities.
- Learn about different cultures and ways of life, as you will have the opportunity to capture meaningful moments and memories for people from different backgrounds.
- Great way to improve your attention to detail and observation skills, which are important for success in any profession, especially in healthcare.
- Use your creativity and artistic skills to capture meaningful moments and memories for others.
With the rise of online learning platforms, you can now offer your tutoring services online, which can be a more convenient option for both you and your students.
- Offer your services online, which can be more convenient for both you and your students.
- Knowledge and expertise on a specific area, and online tutoring can be a way to share that knowledge and help others.
- Meet new people and show of your epic skills!
Online health coaching
You can offer online health coaching services to help individuals achieve their health and wellness goals online on twitch our youtube and with your experience people will love to ask you all kinds of questions.
- Opportunity to learn about new different health and wellness topics that people might have, which can be beneficial for your own personal growth and development.
- Different coaching techniques and methodologies, which can be beneficial for any profession, especially in healthcare.
- Problem-solving skills as you will have to create customised plan for each client based on their needs and goals and you will know if you are doing good or bad!
Home cleaning or laundry services
Offer your cleaning and laundry services to people in your area who are looking for help with these tasks is a great way, yes it is boring and it sucks but it is something people want help with and if you can provide for that it is free money.
- There is no pros, this is boring and nothing fun with this accept the money!
Participating in medical studies or clinical trials
Contribute to the advancement of medical knowledge, but it’s important to weigh the risks and benefits before participating because you might need to sacrifice one of your testis to science!
It is important to note that participating in medical studies or clinical trials may also involve certain risks because it is important to weigh the potential benefits and risks and make an informed decision before participating and you should be aware of the regulations and ethical guidelines that govern clinical trials and ensure that the trial is conducted with the highest standards of safety and ethics.
- Allows you to contribute to the advancement of medical knowledge and help researchers find new treatments and therapies.
- Earn extra money as participants are often compensated for their time and travel expenses.
- Provides an opportunity to learn more about the research process and gain insight into the latest developments in the medical field.
You can set up a small business from home, such as a handmade items shop, or a graphic design service, which can be a great way to make extra money on a tight budget.
- Flexibility: A home-based business allows for a flexible schedule, which is ideal for medical students who may have a demanding and unpredictable schedule.
- Low startup costs: Starting a business from home can be relatively inexpensive, allowing medical students to invest in their education while still pursuing a side hustle.
- Monetize: Medical students may have specific skills or interests that can be monetized through a home-based business, such as graphic design, writing, or even tutoring.
I hope this article helped you answering your question about how to make money as a medical student and that you got some ideas on what you can do. On my how to make money blog I have 100s of articles with how to guides on how to make money so if you didn’t find what you were looking for here there is more to learn there.
It is important for medical students to find a side hustle that fits their schedule and goals, and that will not negatively impact their education and future career. It is also important to note that the earning potential for each option can vary depending on various factors such as location, competition, and the quality of service provided.