How to Make Money Woodworking in 2023 (Complete Guide)
Turn your passion for woodworking into a profitable hobby or side hustle, not only for your wallet but also for your mind. So how to make money woodworking? I will guide you through the process of making money from woodworking by exploring popular projects that sell and providing tips for getting started.
Woodworking not only allows you to create beautiful and functional pieces but also provides a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. It can also be a great way to relax and unwind, allowing you to disconnect from the stresses of daily life and focus on creating something with your own hands. So not only is it a great way to make some extra money, but it is also a wonderful way to feed your soul and give your mind a break.
What is Wood Working?
Woodworking is the activity or skill of making items from wood, and includes cabinet making (carpentry), wood carving, joinery, carpentry, and woodturning. Woodworking can be performed using a variety of tools, including hand tools such as saws, planes, and chisels, as well as power tools such as routers, lathes, and electric drills. Woodworkers may create a wide range of products, including furniture, cabinetry, wooden toys, sculptures, and other decorative items. The techniques used in woodworking can vary widely, depending on the type of project being undertaken and the skill level of the woodworker.
Tools Needed for Woodworking
To get started with woodworking, you’ll need some basic tools such as wood, saws, wood glue, hammers, sanding blocks, routers, screwdrivers, clamps, shop vacs, and safety equipment. Some of the most commonly used saws in woodworking include hand saws, circular saws, and table saws. These tools will help you cut and shape the wood to your desired size and shape.
Here is a list of some common tools used in woodworking:
- Saws: hand saws, circular saws, table saws, miter saws, jigsaw, band saw, coping saw
- Measuring and marking tools: tape measure, square, ruler, compass, marking gauge,
- Hand tools: chisels, hand planes, screwdrivers, hammers, mallets, hand drills, braces and bit,
- Power tools: drills, routers, sanders, planers, jointers, biscuit jointers, Lathe, CNC mill,
- Clamping tools: bench clamps, spring clamps, bar clamps, C-clamps, corner clamps
- Finishing tools: sandpaper, steel wool, paint brushes, staining pads, oil finish, varnish,
- Sharpening tools: honing guide, files, stones, sanding block
- Safety equipment: goggles, dust mask, ear protection, respirator mask, gloves
- Storage tools : Tool boxes, tool bags, tool racks,
- Others : Shop vac, drill press, mortising machine
It’s recommended to use high-quality tools to avoid repairs and replacements. Investing in tools that are built to last will save you time and money in the long run. High-quality tools are also more comfortable to use, which can make your woodworking experience more enjoyable.
You will also need a space to work. Woodworking can be messy and time-consuming, so you’ll need to have a dedicated space to work in. Even if you have limited space, there are small woodshop tips that can help you make the most of your limited space, such as using space-saving tools and storage solutions, and designing your workspace to maximize efficiency.
- A dedicated space to work in
- A space that is suitable for woodworking, as it can be messy and time-consuming
- Consider using space-saving tools and storage solutions
- Designing your workspace to maximize efficiency
- If limited space, small woodshop tips can help make the most of limited space.
How and Where to Buy Wood For Woodworking
Wood is the key element of any woodworking project, and purchasing it can be overwhelming for beginners. In order to ensure the success of your project, it is important to choose the right type of wood, and to buy it from a reliable source.
Here are some tips for purchasing wood for your woodworking projects:
- Local Hardware Stores: Local hardware stores are a great place to buy wood for your woodworking projects. They typically have a wide variety of wood available, including hardwoods, softwoods, and engineered woods. They also often have knowledgeable staff who can help you choose the right type of wood for your project.
- Large Retailers: Large retailers such as Lowes or Home Depot are also a great place to buy wood for your woodworking projects. They typically have a wide variety of wood available, and the prices are often quite competitive. Some retailers also offer cutting services, so you can purchase wood that is already cut to size.
- Online Suppliers: Online suppliers such as Rockler or Woodcraft also provides a wide range of lumber, different types of woods, also could be convenient if you looking for specific type of wood that hard to find in local stores.
- When purchasing wood, make sure to look for the following qualities:
- Smooth: Avoid wood with rough or uneven surfaces
- Crack-free: Avoid wood with cracks, as they can weaken the structure of the wood
- Knot-free: Avoid wood with knots, as they can cause the wood to split or warp over time
- Dry: It’s important to ensure the wood is dry. If it’s wet, it will warp as it dries.
- Treated lumber is not necessary unless the project will be exposed to outdoor elements like rain, snow, and UV rays. These types of wood will have chemicals to prevent rot and decay, but they can be dangerous to work with and not safe to burn or use for food preparation surfaces.
By following these tips, you can ensure that you are buying the right type of wood for your project, and that it will be of good quality, so you can have a successful woodworking project.
How to Make Money Woodworking
In this section of the article you will learn how to make money woodworking and some detailed ways on how you can turn your passion for woodworking into a profitable hobby or side hustle:
Sell crafts online:
The easiest way to earn money from woodworking is by selling your creations online. Platforms like Etsy make it easy to get your projects available for sale. This allows you to reach a global audience, and you can sell a wide variety of products, from small craft items to large furniture pieces.
Create your own online store:
Another option is to create your own online store. This can reduce fees associated with online platforms but requires more effort upfront. By creating your own website you will have more control over the design and branding, but it may require more technical know-how.
Sell crafts locally:
Platforms like Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist make it easy to sell your creations locally. This can be a great option if you live in a densely populated area and want to sell products in your local community.
Offer custom woodworking services to customers looking for specific pieces. This can be more lucrative than selling ready-made items. This can be great for those who want to work one on one with clients and create unique items that customers want.
Share your skills and teach others how to make their own projects. You can teach classes in person at a workshop or studio or create online video tutorials, offering them via platforms like Skillshare or Udemy. This allows you to build a community of interested students and continue to earn money while you’re away from the workshop.
Consider a Combination:
A combination of all of these methods could potentially give a better revenue. For example, you could sell furniture pieces in your local area while also offering classes on building a specific furniture piece and continue selling items on e-commerce platforms.
How Much Money Can You Make Woodworking
Based on some data and statistics, here is a calculation of how much money can you make woodworking and how much could you potentially make:
Let’s say, an artisan woodworker who focuses on creating high-end furniture, and the average piece sells for $2,500. They have a steady flow of customers and manage to sell 10 pieces of furniture per month. In this case, the woodworker would be making $25,000 per month, which comes out to $300,000 a year.
It’s important to note that this is just an example and not a guarantee. Many factors such as a higher cost of materials, labor, and overhead costs can reduce the profit margin. Additionally, this is a high-end example, and not all the people can achieve this income level.
It’s important to keep in mind that starting a woodworking business can take time and effort to establish, and it may take a while to start making a significant amount of money. But with the right strategies and a lot of hard work, it is possible to turn your passion for woodworking into a profitable business.
Let’s say you as a woodworker creates and sells wooden bowls and each bowl takes 1 hours to create, and the cost of materials for each bowl is $20. The woodworker charges $50 per bowl and manages to sell 100 bowls per month.
Total cost of materials per month: 100 bowls x $20/bowl = $2,000 Total time spent on production per month: 100 bowls x 1 hours/bowl = 100 hours
Total sales per month: 100 bowls x $50/bowl = $5,000 USD
Total profit per month: $5,000 – $2,000 = $3,000 USD
This calculation includes the cost of materials and the time spent on production, as well as the selling price. It gives a more realistic estimate of the potential profits a woodworker could make.
It is important to note that this example does not take into account other expenses such as renting a space, utilities, equipment, and marketing expenses.
Woodworking Projects that Sell
So what are the best woodworking projects that sell and what items should you focus on, here is a short list with items that sell really and that I can recommend after all my research!
- Wooden signs are an easy and popular woodworking project that can be used as decoration or as welcome and directional signage at events. Personalized signs featuring a family’s last name, for example are popular. Wooden signs can be made with simple scrap wood and customized to fit the needs of your target audience.
- Wood pallets are a great sustainable material for a variety of woodworking projects such as planter boxes, decorative signs, coffee tables, benches, raised garden beds, bed platforms, shelves and many more. These projects are popular as they are environmentally friendly and can be easily customizable.
- Kitchen wood products such as cutting boards, coasters, utensils, serving trays, and wine racks are in high demand. These are functional, long lasting and can be customized to suit the needs of your target audience.
- Furniture stores have been among the hardest hit during the COVID-19 pandemic, which presents an opportunity for selling furniture online. Furniture is a high-demand item as it is practical, functional and can be customized to suit the needs of your target audience.
- Surfboards is a year-round sport and wooden surfboards are gaining popularity because they are environmentally friendly. They are in high demand among surfers who are environmentally conscious and looking for sustainable options
- Customized gifts such as picture frames, coasters, key chains, and other small items are a great way to make money in the woodworking industry. They are popular as they make great gifts, they can be customized to suit the needs of your target audience, and can be sold online or in person at craft fairs and events.
- Wooden puzzles are a fun and unique way to make money in the woodworking industry. They can be simple or complex and offer a challenge to people of all ages. They are popular as they are a great way to pass the time, they are a challenge to complete, and make great gifts.
- Wooden household items such as trivets, cutting boards, and serving trays are a great way to make money in the woodworking industry. They are popular as they are functional and can be used in the kitchen and in other areas of the home. They can be customized to suit the needs of your target audience and make great gifts.
- Decorative wooden items such as carvings, sculptures, and ornaments are a great way to make money in the woodworking industry. They are popular as they are unique, can be customized to suit the needs of your target audience, and can be used to add a touch of elegance to any room or space. They can be sold online, at craft fairs and events, or in galleries and art stores.
- Wooden games and toys such as wooden blocks, puzzles, and chess boards are a great way to make money in the woodworking industry. They are popular as they are fun, durable, and eco-friendly. They can be customized to suit the needs of your target audience, and can be sold online, at craft fairs and events, or in toy and game stores.
It’s worth noting that these are just a few examples of the many possibilities that exist for making money in the woodworking industry. The key is to find a niche that aligns with your interests, skills and experience and start experimenting with different projects and products to find what resonates with your target audience.
Where To Sell My Woodworking Projects?
When looking into places to sell your woodworking projects it is good to work on more than one place to maximize your sale potential.
Here are a few options for where to sell your woodworking projects:
- Online marketplaces: Etsy, Amazon Handmade, and Not on the High Street are popular platforms for selling handmade items including woodworking projects.
- Social media: Use platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest to connect with potential customers and promote your projects.
- Online store: Create your own website and sell your projects through your own store, providing more control over design and branding.
- Craft fairs, markets, and events: Attend these events to connect with potential customers and showcase your work in person.
- Commissioned work: Offer custom woodworking services to customers who are looking for specific pieces.
- Retail outlets: Partner with local retailers to sell your products in their store. This option could potentially provide you with a wider reach and exposure to new customers.
- Wholesale: You can sell your products in bulk to other retailers, or use wholesaling as a way to expand your reach.
- Custom Order: Create custom-made pieces as per client requests. This option can be a great way to increase your income, as well as catering to your customer’s specific needs.
- Trade shows: Consider exhibiting your products at relevant trade shows that cater to your niche. This can be a great way to connect with potential customers and gain exposure for your business.
- Referral: Ask satisfied customers to refer your products to their friends and family, this is a great way to get the word out there, and gain new customers through word of mouth.
Research and understand your target market, in order to find the best options for selling your woodworking projects, and adapting to the changing market conditions. Also, as your business evolves, you may find that some sales channels work better than others, so it’s important to be flexible and willing to try new things.
There is some pros and cons:
- Pros: Large built-in audience of shoppers, easy to set up and manage, various tools available for marketing and promotion, low overhead costs.
- Cons: Increased competition, may have to pay high fees, need to adapt to the platform’s policies,
- Pros: Large audience, easy to set up, low overhead costs, ability to connect with potential customers and build a community around your brand.
- Cons: Limited control over the design and branding of your page, Need to create engaging content and a good strategy to gain visibility.
- Pros: Complete control over design and branding, the ability to reach a wider audience, ability to sell your products directly to customers.
- Cons: Requires more technical knowledge, may have to pay for website hosting and design costs, need to handle all aspects of order fulfillment, shipping and customer service.
Craft fairs, markets, and events:
- Pros: Ability to connect with potential customers in person, showcase your work, and gain exposure for your brand.
- Cons: High overhead costs, need to invest time and effort into preparing for events, not always consistent sales.
- Pros: Ability to charge premium prices for custom-made pieces, potential for repeat business, the ability to cater to specific customer needs.
- Cons: Requires a significant time commitment, limited control over the design process, need to handle communication with customers.
Retail outlets, Wholesale, Custom Order, Trade shows, Referral are different ways of selling your products, each have their own pros and cons, it will depend on your business goals, product, target market and competition in the market.
Pros and Cons Selling Woodworking Products
Here are some pros and cons of making money from woodworking:
- It allows you to turn your passion into a business.
- You can have a flexible schedule and work from home.
- You have the ability to be creative and make unique products.
- The demand for wooden products is high and it can be profitable.
- It can provide a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment in creating something with your own hands.
- It can require a significant investment in tools and equipment.
- It can be time-consuming and physically demanding.
- You may have to deal with competition and the need to differentiate your products.
- It can be challenging to scale a woodworking business and reach a wider audience.
- It can be difficult to predict sales and income as it’s affected by market trends, consumer behavior, and competition.
- Shipping and handling can also be an additional cost that affects the profitability of your business
- It may require a significant amount of time and effort to build a brand, establish credibility, and attract customers
This article about how to make money woodworking and how much money can you make woodworking is really in depth and I really hope you liked it. because woodworking can be a fulfilling and profitable pursuit, but building a successful business takes a great deal of work and commitment.
There are various paths to monetize your skills like through online marketplaces, local sales, custom-made pieces or teaching others how to do it. Essential tools, equipment, and a dedicated workspace are prerequisites to start your journey.
Starting small with easy-to-sell projects and focusing on building a strong foundation is key to success.