How To Make an AWESOME KDP Book Description In 3 Easy Steps
Struggling to write the perfect KDP Book description? This easy guide will show you how to do it in no time!
First of all you aren’t alone, there is a jungle out there with people saying this or that and nothing is solid.
I have tested loads of different descriptions and read so many guides on different blogs and after a long time I finally think I’ve nailed it.
In this short tutorial I will cover the basics but you will have a great foundation for your book description.
We have the start, the middle and the end.
Related: How to publish books on Amazon in 6 easy steps
What is KDP Book Description?
On Amazon KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) there is a place called book description when you decide to upload your book to Amazon and it is a text field on the KDP website where authors and publishers can enter a summary of their book to be displayed on Amazon’s website and this summary is used to help potential readers understand what the book is about and decide whether they want to purchase it.
The book description is also used by Amazon’s search algorithms to help customers find books that match their interests, but a side note is that it is not as important as keywords and book title but it is important for authors to write an engaging and informative book description to increase their book’s visibility and sales potential.
Making The Perfect KDP Book Description?
How do we do that and what is a perfect KDP book description?
First of all Amazon ranks on keywords, basically like everything on the internet, BUT its not as complicated as it sounds but there is some thing you have to have in mind when making the perfect book description but there is also things you need to know about keyword research and how to title your book.
Guide: How To Publish Low Content Books on Amazon – 6 Easy Steps
Guide: How To Make Journals To Sell on Amazon
- Research keywords relevant to your book and to do that use tools such as Amazon’s Keyword Tool and Google’s Keyword Planner to find keywords that potential readers might use to search for a book like yours.
Guide: 8 Best Free Research Tools for Amazon KDP in 2022
- Use keywords strategically in the book description and that means you have to include them in the title, subtitle, and throughout the text, but be sure to use them naturally and avoid keyword stuffing.
- Make the first sentence of your book description attention-grabbing and engaging because what this does is that this will be the first thing potential readers see, so it’s important to make it count.
- Include a brief summary of the book’s plot and themes and make it exciting because this will give potential readers an idea of what to expect from the book.
- Use bullet points to list the book’s main features and benefits so it is easy for everyone who reads to understand and you should include information such as the number of pages, the format (eBook or print), and any special features like illustrations or interactive elements.
- Use persuasive language to entice potential readers to buy the book and if you do it right add things like “You won’t be able to put it down” or “A must-read for fans of [genre].”
- Use testimonials and reviews from other readers because this really really helps to increase the credibility of your book and give potential readers an idea of what others think of it.
- Optimize your book description for readability and dont forget to use short paragraphs, headings and subheadings, and make sure the text is easy to scan.
For example on this blogpost I have 15 different things I have to include in my text to get a high ranking score on google and it’s not just about writing however and what ever you want, you really need to add keywords on different places in the blogpost to make it rank higher on google.
But that is a story of its own so I will write about that in another blogpost.
How To Make An Awesome Amazon KDP Book Title.
This is without a doubt the MOST important TEXT on Amazon and if you dont do this right you will not be able to get any sales at all, so you must studdy titles and keywords so you know how to succeed!
When we look at the 100 best books to read in the “Lifetime Recommendation list” on Amazon we notice a few things.
Yes, all the KDP book covers are colorful and stands out, and the book cover is the most important thing that helps you sell your books. But the text is what you and people search for, if people can’t search for what you published it will be impossible to sell it right?
A good book title is short, exciting or intriguing.
Let me name a few examples from the picture above.
A Brief History of Time, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier, A Wrinkle in Time (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet) Diary of a Whimpy Kid and Great Expectatons.
If you check the bolded text in the different book titles, can you see that they are words that make the title more interesting. People would be less likely to read something called History of Time or Diary of a Kid or even Memoirs of a Boy.
“Remember the title should feel and look natural”
Example: Atomic Habits
This title is amazing, short and impactful.
So what could be a bad book title?
I know it’s tempting to write book titles like this in the beginning but it wont serve you well and maybe just maybe did it work in the old days where you could be first in your niche with a book but it doesn’t work, especially now in 2022 when people are looking more into quality.
So, a good title is a must.
Related: The Ultimate guide to find profitable Niches on Amazon
Is Amazon KDP Subtitle Important?
Next up is the Amazon KDP Subtitle Important and I after I have done my research, this is not as important as the title and keywords but it is still worth to add some keywords into this text because you can use it to finetune with some extra words for searchability and most people on the market say that you can include some words that describe the content of the book.
Lets say your book is about Fantasy and is called William and the Ice Dragon.
Your subtitle could be something like. Sword, sorcery, knights and magicians.
This could potentially help your book because it explains more about what its about.
Amazon KDP Book Description Complete Guide.
Now you know the importance of keyword research, you know how to place keywords strategically, you know about subtitles and now it is time for the complete book description. First up you should always start your KDP book description with a Bold Text headline and something that solves a problem for the reader or highlights a problem.
A kid’s coloring book is the example we are going to use in this text..
Title: 50 Different Trains Coloring Book.
Book Description: Do you love to paint trains but you don’t know the names
of the different train types?
After you get a good headline, you can explain what your book is about depending on what you have in it and in the end of the description you put in a call to action as followed in the next example.
Example: Buy now and your kids will learn loads of new things and will have fun
It’s all about selling your book to the audience and telling them why your book will help them with their problem. Focus on the audience and their needs. The more you can show that your book will help them, the better chance of getting a sale!
The KDP Book Description is an essential part of your book marketing plan. and here are 3 easy steps to creating an awesome KDP Book Description:
- Start with a Bang: The first few sentences of your KDP Book Description are critical. You want to grab the reader’s attention and give them a reason to keep reading. Use strong adjectives and exciting language to make your book sound irresistible.
- Focus on the Benefits: What makes your book special? What will readers get out of it? Be sure to include these selling points in your Amazon KDP Book Description so that readers know what they can expect.
- Keep it Short and Sweet: You don’t want to bore readers with a long, drawn-out KDP Book Description. Make sure it is concise and to the point. Use active language and avoid excessive adjectives. Stick to the essentials and you’ll have an awesome Amazon KDP Book Description in no time!
Related: How to publish books on Amazon in 6 easy steps
Amazon Book Description Examples
Feel free to use these book descriptions if you find that they might help you in any way. 🙂
Here is a book description of a knight called Robinesson who fights dragons:
Meet Robinesson, the brave knight who sets out on a thrilling adventure to save his kingdom from fierce dragons and follow him as he battles his way through treacherous mountains and scorching deserts, all in the name of protecting his people.
This action-packed children’s book is filled with exciting battles, heroic deeds, and valuable lessons about courage, friendship and determination and with amazing illustrations that bring the story to life, your child will be completely captivated by Robinesson’s epic journey.
Rhyming verse and simple language make it easy for young readers to follow along and learn valuable life lessons, while the colorful illustrations bring the story to life and this is a must-read for any child who loves stories of knights, dragons, and adventure.
With Robinesson’s fearless spirit and determination, your child will be inspired to be brave, kind and always stand up for what is right so do not miss out on this thrilling tale of a knight who fights for what he believes in, and saves the day.
Here is a book description of a thief named Robinesson who steals from the rich and give to the poor:
Fallow along on spectacular story about the draging thief Robinesson who lives by a code of honor. He steals from the wealthy elite and gives to the poor, becoming a Robin Hood-like figure in the eyes of the downtrodden but when he targets the corrupt ruler of the kingdom, he sets off a chain of events that will change his life forever.
This fast-paced, action-packed novel takes you on a journey of crime and redemption, as Robinesson navigates the dangerous underworld of thieves and the corrupt officials who seek to bring him down. With a diverse cast of characters and a thrilling plot, this book will keep you on the edge of your seat.
The story explores themes of social justice and the fight against corruption, as well as the blurred line between right and wrong so Robinesson’s struggles to reconcile his actions and beliefs make him a complex and relatable protagonist.
With its well-drawn characters, pulse-pounding action, and thought-provoking themes, this novel is a must-read for fans of crime fiction, action-adventure, and social justice literature. Join Robinesson on his journey to discover the true meaning of justice, and the price one must pay for standing up for what’s right.”Regenera
Start your KDP book Description with a good book title that is short, exciting or intriguing.
Add subtitles if you can give the book more value but its not needed.
Book description should be capturing, give you a clear image what you get out of it and ending with a call to action.