How Much Money Can You Make Selling Honey in 2023? (Complete Guide)
I bet that when you think about honey you are not thinking about how much money can you make selling honey! It’s no secret that honey is a delicious, healthy, and versatile food, but did you know that it can also be a profitable business? In this blog post, we will explain how you get started and how much money you can make selling honey!
We will cover everything in this article about how much money can you make selling honey. By the end of this article you will have all the information you need to start making money by selling honey!
Is there Money In Beekeeping
Here is the short answer: Yes! There is money to be made in beekeeping if you do it right!
The key to how to make money beekeeping is to provide a product or service that people want or need. When it comes to selling honey, there are a few things you can do to ensure that you are providing a product that people will love.
It is important to choose the right honey to sell. There are many different types of honey, each with its own unique flavor and health benefits. Do some research to find out which type of honey is most popular in your area. You can also talk to local beekeepers or visit farmers markets to get an idea of what type of honey is in demand.
Once you have chosen the right honey to sell, you need to make sure that you are marketing your business correctly. There are a few ways to do this. You can start by creating a website or blog where you can share information about your business and the honey you sell. You can also distribute flyers and business cards in local businesses. And you should always talk to people about your business!
If you keep on reading you will get the information you need to be well on your way to making money by selling honey. Just remember to provide a product that people want or need and market your business correctly, and you will be successful!
Now to the real question, can you make money beekeeping and how much money can you make selling honey?
How Much Honey Can One Beehive Produce?
The amount of honey a beehive can produce is dependent on various factors such as the climate, the length of the growing season, the availability of flower sources, and the size and productivity of the bee colony. On average, a single beehive can produce approximately 25 pounds (11 kg) of surplus honey in a season. However, in ideal conditions, with a well-established and productive colony, a beehive can potentially produce 60 pounds (27 kg) or more of honey in a single season.
It’s important to note that the amount of honey produced by a beehive can vary greatly from year to year, depending on environmental conditions and the health of the bee colony. Additionally, a portion of the honey produced by the bees is typically left in the hive to sustain the colony through winter and early spring.
For example: if a beekeeper has ten hives and each produces an average of 25 pounds (11 kg) of surplus honey per season, they could potentially produce 250 pounds (113 kg) of honey per year. At a retail price of $10 per pound, this would result in a total of $2,500 in honey sales. However, it’s worth noting that these figures are rough estimates and will vary based on many factors.
How Much Money Can You Make Selling Honey
So how much money can you make selling honey? Well prices depends on if you want to sell for wholesale prices or retail prices so here are the prices for each of the two.
Honey prices are $5.50 to $6.50 per pound, $12.1 to $14.30 per kg wholesale.
But in retail the prices are $8.50 to $10.50 per pound, $18,7 to $31,46 per kg.
If one hive produces 11-27 kg (25-60lb) you can earn between $133 to $386 per year.
This is quite a difficult question to answer because it depends on a lot of factors, such as how much honey you sell and what price you sell it at. But I will do my best to answer it in an easy way and show you that selling honey can be a great way to earn some extra cash!
Here are my general guidelines. If you are just starting out a new hive costs around $150, clothing and gear cost about $150 so the startup cost is $300. So let’s say your honey bees produce 11kg each season it will take 1 year for each hive to pay itself off.
Of course, there are many ways to increase your profits, such as selling honeycomb or beeswax along with your honey. You can also sell other products made from honey, like candles or soaps. And, if you have a large amount of honey to sell, you can always wholesale it to local stores or online retailers.
No matter how you choose to sell your honey, remember that the key to making money with honey bees is providing a product that people want or need and marketing your business correctly.
So if you are going to give this a go and after a while and find it fun, think about scaling it with more beehives.
How Much Is Honey Worth?
Honey is worth a lot of money. A lot of people don’t know this, but honey is one of the most expensive liquids in the world. A pound of honey can cost upwards of $30 if it’s organic and you have some exclusiveness to it, making it one of the most valuable commodities on the planet.
Why is Honey So Expensive?
It actually takes a lot of work to produce honey. Bees have to fly miles and miles to collect nectar from flowers, which they then turn into honey. Second, honey is very versatile and has many uses such as a sweetener, in skincare products, and even as medicine. And there is a limited supply of honey!
Beekeepers can only produce so much honey each year, making it a rare and valuable commodity.
If you are thinking about selling honey, remember that you are selling a product that is in high demand and short supply. You can charge a premium price for your honey and make a lot of money if you market your business correctly.
How Much Does a Beehive And Equipment Cost?
A beehive can cost anywhere from $50 to $200. The price depends on the type of beehive you choose and where you purchase it from. You can find beehives for sale online, at local beekeeping supply stores, or even at some hardware stores.
So if you are just starting out in beekeeping, we recommend buying a basic beehive kit. These kits usually include everything you need to get started, such as the hive itself, frames,foundation wax, gloves, and a veil. They typically cost between $100 and $200.
Of course, if you have more experience with beekeeping, you may want to buy a more advanced beehive. These hives can cost upwards of $500, but they offer features that make beekeeping easier, such as built in ventilation and automatic hive opening/closing.
But that kind of equipment is if you want to go full scale beekeeper.
No matter what type of beehive you choose, remember that it is an investment. Be sure to do your research and purchase a quality hive that will last for years to come. Thanks for reading and good luck! How much does it cost to get started in beekeeping?
Of course, the price of your beehive is just the beginning. You will also need to purchase beekeeping supplies like smoker fuel, hive tools, and a Bee Suit. These items can add up quickly, so be sure to factor them into your budget.
Lastly, don’t forget about the ongoing costs of beekeeping, such as honey extractors and replacement parts for your beehive. These costs can range from $50 to $200 per year.
Is Beekeeping hard?
Beekeeping can be hard work, but it is also very rewarding. It takes a lot of time and effort to care for bees and produce honey. However, if you are willing to put in the work, beekeeping can be a great way to make some extra money and learn about the amazing world of bees.
Of course, beekeeping is not for everyone. If you are allergic to bees or don’t have the time to commit to caring for them, then beekeeping may not be the right hobby for you.
How To Market And Sell Your Honey
When it comes to marketing and selling your honey, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. First, make sure your honey is packaged in a way that is appealing to customers. This means using high quality jars and labels for your products.
Then you need to decide how you are going to sell your honey.
You can sell it online, at farmers markets, or through local retailers. Each option has its own set of pros and cons, so be sure to do your research before making a decision.
Don’t forget to promote your honey!
Make sure people know where they can buy it and why it is the best choice for their needs.
Honey Marketing Ideas Online
- Word-of-mouth Marketing
Spread the word that you are selling honey to your family and friends.
- Facebook Marketplace and Local Groups
One of the best places to advertise and tell people that you sell honey!
- Facebook Advertising
This will cost some money but it’s great for reaching out your advertising to people that are interested in honey.
- Flyers, Door Knocking and Door Hangers
Cheap and great way to get your business going, it can be very personal and easy to make sales.
- Google AdWords
If you decide to do Google AdWords, be ready for that it can cost and that you could potentially reach loads of customers. Don’t do this as your first option if you are not familiar with it.
Also make sure you have a stunning website that is user-friendly and easy to navigate. Ensure that your photos are high-quality and show off your product in the best light possible. And don’t forget to include clear and concise descriptions of your honey so potential customers know what they’re buying.
Places To Sell Your Honey
- Retailers like Amazon, Etsy and Ebay
- Farmers Market.
- Have a “Local Honey for Sale” sign in front of your house.
- Reaching out to local stores.
- Selling to church groups, smaller restaurants and cafes.
- Selling directly on the internet retailers like, Ebay, Amazon and Etsy.
In addition to your website, you can also sell your honey through online retailers such as Amazon, Etsy or Ebay. This is a great way to reach a larger audience and boost sales. However, it’s important to remember that you will have to compete with other beekeepers selling their honey online, so be sure to price your product competitively.
There are a few places you can sell your honey near you.
You could attend Farmers Markets and sell your honey and related products there. This is a great way to meet potential customers and get feedback on your product. But remember that farmers markets can be seasonal, so you may not have customers all year round.
You could also sell your honey through local retailers. This is a great way to reach a larger audience, boost sales and get your brand out there.
Selling Honey vs Selling Beeswax
- Honey is a sweet, viscous food substance produced by honeybees from the nectar of flowers, while beeswax is a natural wax produced by honeybees used for construction of honeycombs, and for other uses such as candles and cosmetics.
- Honey has a unique flavor and color depending on the nectar source, and can be sold raw, pasteurized or as various flavored or blended honey products. Beeswax is typically sold as a yellowish solid in blocks or pellets, and its color and quality can vary depending on the age of the wax and impurities.
- Selling honey can provide a steady source of income, and there is a high demand for quality honey, especially locally sourced and organic varieties. There is also the potential for value-added products, such as honeycomb or infused honey.
- Selling beeswax has similar benefits and is used in a variety of products, such as cosmetics, candles, and furniture polish. There is also demand for high-quality, pure beeswax for use in art and craft.
- When selling honey, it is important to consider the regulations surrounding the sale of food products, as well as labeling requirements and safety standards. It may also be necessary to invest in equipment for processing and bottling the honey.
- When selling beeswax, consider the market for your product and the competition, as well as the methods for cleaning and refining the wax to ensure a high-quality product. It may also be necessary to invest in equipment for melting and pouring the wax.
Pros and Cons Selling Honey
Pros of selling honey:
- High demand: There is a growing demand for locally sourced and organic honey, making it a lucrative product to sell.
- Versatility: Honey can be sold in a variety of forms, including raw, pasteurized, infused, and blended honey products.
- Health benefits: Honey has a range of health benefits and is a popular natural sweetener, making it a sought-after product.
- Sustainability: Beekeeping and honey production can be a sustainable and environmentally friendly business.
- Potential for value-added products: In addition to selling honey, there is potential to sell value-added products such as honeycomb or infused honey, providing additional streams of income.
Cons of selling honey:
- Seasonality: The production of honey is dependent on the availability of flowers and the length of the growing season, which can vary from year to year.
- Competition: There is a lot of competition in the honey market, and it can be challenging to stand out and sell at a competitive price.
- Regulations: The sale of food products is subject to various regulations and safety standards, which can be complex and time-consuming to comply with.
- Equipment and setup costs: Starting a honey business can require investment in equipment for processing and bottling the honey, as well as in the maintenance and upkeep of the bee colonies.
- Variability of production: The amount of honey produced by a bee colony can vary greatly from year to year, depending on environmental conditions and the health of the colony.
Now you know how much money can you make selling honey and there is a lot of money to be made in beekeeping as you can see. But remember that there are some costs associated with the business. So be sure to factor these costs into your budget before you get started.
If you are looking into making money and want to expand outside of just making money with honey bees or you feel that this isn’t something for you I can recommend reading my article about What Equipment Can I Buy To Make Money?
Thanks for reading and good luck with your upcoming business. If you try this idea out or you are already in the business drop a comment and tell us about it.